KL Tower Series: Doing Similar Shots Differently

2 Comments
I have often been asked, why do I walk along the similar shooting routes on the street since I have been there so many times everything would look the same and I will obtain similar photography output?

My answer to the above question:

1) I have not shot the "best" photograph yet. In fact, every single time I walk on the same location, shooting the same subjects and scenes, I am getting better, even if the incremental improvement is so marginally small. Over time, I can see my growth.

2) Different time, different moments. It is nearly impossible for the same moment to repeat itself again, but we can always hope and anticipate new and perhaps more interesting moments to happen, if we put ourselves out there enough to be ready to capture them.

3) Different vision, and different way of seeing things. Every time I go out I try to put on a fresh perspective, I always asked myself - if I have done this before, how can I do this differently this time, and certainly, how can I make this shot better? Perhaps, a use of different focal length, shifting shooting position, or more dramatic composition choices? The possibilities of producing different outcomes of the similar subject or scene are endless.

For example, the prominent Kuala Lumpur Tower (as well as the even more popular KLCC Twin Towers) has been shot like a billion times over by locals and tourists, why would anyone bother to add to the internet junk collection? Surely there would be no way anyone can outdo anyone else, and should not we consider doing something more original, less popularly photographed, to stay ahead in the game?

Then my sincere advice, is that there is no game. Because there is no finishing line when it comes to photography, and it is ok to shoot what everyone else is shooting. You just have to tell yourself that you can create your own photographs based on your own vision.

So here, I present to you, the collection of KL Tower shots that I have accumulated, with different point of view, composition, and ideas behind the shots.


Since the KL Tower is a prominent landmark, it is a great backdrop for street subjects. Here I was emphasizing on the pigeons in flight, but utilized the KL tower to establish the sense of location of this image. 



Having the KL tower alone may seem a little simplistic and lonely, but adding two other elements that supported the idea of Malaysian identity - Malaysian flag and the more popularly known KLCC Twin Towers, resulted in a solid interaction between subjects that complemented each other. 

Framing is one consideration that plays behind the head of photographers and I often find contrasting subjects to counter-act each other. I framed the KL Towers inside surrounding leaves made by trees. Nature vs Concrete/Steel Structures. 

Similar concept from the previous photograph, but with color and wider perspective. 

Again, adding another element to interact with the main subject. This was just something completely random which was found and I thought it is humorous and interesting at the same time, how the hell did the cone get up there and why would someone do that?

Finding reflection is something that street photographers do often. 

When the sky is blue, even a plain, straightforward shot of the tower works!

This was probably the oldest shot from these collection of images. Taken with Olympus DSLR E-5, and the Zuiko Digital 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 lens, from Merdeka Square in the city during a marathon event. 

KL Tower has been used for base jump parachuting, unfortunately I did not have a camera with me at that time, so I utilized a smartphone. 

Foreground is just as important as the background. Malaysian flags, a strong identity synonymous with the KL tower, were blended in and to not draw attention away from the towers, shallow depth of field was used. 



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reflection image is pure genius! Nice also to see the excellent capture with the "old" E5. I enjoyed this collection.

    ReplyDelete