I Recorded Myself Doing Shutter Therapy In Video! Check It out!

17 Comments
Following up my recent camera review of the Huawei Mate 9 Pro smartphone I did few days ago, I have made a video of myself doing shutter therapy in KL streets. The video screenshot feature was particularly useful, so I could capture in video what the camera was seeing!






In the video, I also shared some street photography tips on how to shoot with a smartphone, but you mostly will require use of some manual settings. The bare minimum is the ability to control shutter speed. I have also shared my shooting process step by step, and how to use some of the camera features to achieve some desired effects, such as wide aperture mode and the burst sequential/continuous shooting mode. From the video, you can evidently see how the camera on the Huawei Mate 9 Pro actually performs, and I am presenting all the photographs featured in the video separately here in this blog as well in much better resolution of course.

Additionally, I have selected a few photographs of my choice and post-processed them directly in the phone using the awesome photo editing App, Snapseed, which is free and so versatile to use.














This marks the FIRST time I am doing such a video, showing myself shooting on the streets. I tried to keep the video short, so surely it was not meant to be a review video of the phone. I believe in sharing and I want to share as much as I can through this blog, but I also acknowledge that video is probably a more powerful tool to demonstrate certain shooting process. I know there is a lot more for me to improve when it comes to video making, and I am completely noob in this, but hey, everyone has got to start somewhere.

If you have any questions about the Huawei Mate 9 Pro, or any comments regarding the video, do let me know, I would like to hear your thoughts!



17 comments:

  1. Dear Robin, my compliments for these shots! They are the final proof that a good picture is not depending on the on the device but on the eyes and mind behind it. Keep up the good work! Best wishes from Potsdam/Germany - Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Robin, video is definitely a plus and this one is worth a thousand words. Nice also to see you and hear your voice. Last but not least, the 9 Pro shows the way to go, both for phones and for cameras! Just imagine the same process on a future Olympus camera! Best wishes form Switzerland, Vincent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely will consider for future Olympus reviews, but I cringe thinking about the amount of work required. This one was easy because I recorded directly off the screenshot video! With voice recorded some more.

      Delete
  3. It was interesting to see how you work. And now we heard your voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jos, I hope my voice did not freak anyone out.

      Delete
  4. I liked the shots as much as the video! Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to more videos. Also the Mate 9 Pro looks promising...

    Yours

    Dirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am planning on the next video already. Now I am travelling so it will be a while before I start shooting again.

      Delete
  5. You are superb with reviews. You have mastered this as an art. I love your work. thks...... might just purchase this phone once it announced in India.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robin.
    Congratulations for this review and the video. All the photos are nice and to see you in action is very interesting. I'm waiting now for new videos.
    For the phone : I'll probably buy one when it'll be available in France.
    Regards, Lionel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Lionel! I sure hope HUawei makes the Mate 9 and Mate 9 Pro available in France soon.

      Delete
  7. I have a problem with faces in low or bleak light. If it's dark and a bright lamp next to it, the camera still produces nice images. But they really disappoint me when trying to capture my kids.

    Wish I could post some images so you would get my point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no issues with shooting in low light. If you are talking about EXTREME low light, for example candle lit scenes, or even outside with no street lights, then I suppose you are really expecting too much from a phone camera. Even dedicated powerful cameras will suffer in such situations.

      Delete
  8. Indeed a very smart way to demonstrate Mate 9's prowess using it's own screen recording function .
    Please do more of this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missed your video until just now. Good to narrate to your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have owned a P9 pro for some time but never thought to use it as a camera for more than receipts and business cards, and was unaware of its manual mode.Thanks for all the info. And using a tripod replaces in camera stabilisation, which I want on my next phone.

    ReplyDelete