Petaling Street Adventures with the Humble Kit Lens

12 Comments
Before jumping into photographs of my usual, weekly, now getting more and more predictable shutter therapy sessions, I shall divert your attention to Rizki Skema Maulana, an awesome, young and talented photographer who has just self-published a mini magazine, .IMG. The .IMG project is a collective of photographs from a group of KL street photographers, many of whom I have shot alongside with frequently for the past few years! 

You may have seen many of these familiar faces on my blog before:
Nick Wade
Luke Ding
Amir Shariff
Scott Chung
Alvin Lau
Razlan Yusof
KG Krishnan
And of course, the man behind the project himself, Rizki Skema Maulana

The man himself, Rizki and his beautiful street photographs in PRINT!





The mini magazine showcases some of the best photos from the above-mentioned photographers, and you the coolest part about being friends with these guys? I was standing next to some of them while the photos were being taken! Yeap, I knew exactly where, when and how some of the images came to be, and it was such a surreal thing to see these cool images made into prints! If you want to get your hands on the .IMG magazine, kindly contact Rizki at  rizkimaulana93 [at] gmail [dot] com

Now, back to my weekly, report of shutter therapy sessions. 

My weapon of choice for today's street shooting was the Olympus PEN E-P5, and the humble kit lens, 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Pancake Zoom lens. I just thought, screw all the technicalities and just not think too much, but focus on the street moments, and capturing beautiful scenes. Sharpness, technical perfection are not the main agenda of the day. 

Many of you may have known from my previous few blog entries that I have been away from KL, working outstation at various locations, such as Malacca, Johor and Penang for the past few weekends. I have not been shooting on KL streets for more than a month now! I know I have been shooting at KL for so many years already, but not being around for so many weeks, I started to miss the KL streets badly. I was so glad I was able to roam the KL streets this morning, and oh boy, my finger went trigger happy. I think I have gotten quite a few shots that I actually liked. 

All images were taken with Olympus PEN E-P5 and kit lens 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ

The Lady in Yellow

Baby Passing By

They Kept The Streets Clean

A Cat Lover

Portrait of a Stranger

The Cat

Morning Conversations

The Walking Stick

Shop Not Opened Yet

Colors at Random

The Man in the Yellow Suit (Ok, bad Reverse Flash reference, but yeah!)

Construction Worker

It was quite a dull, cloudy morning, and lighting was not very encouraging, but there was an upside to that too, it was quite comfortable walking around, and as I tracked my route with my GPS enabled phone, I found that I have walked a total of more than 10KM! Imagine, one street shooting session and I have walked that much, that is one good way to stay fit, if you ask me. More reasons for you to pick up that camera, and start to head out for a shutter therapy session. 

Next to a Leica

Loving my NEW BAG!!!

My weekend is NOT over yet. Tomorrow, I am joining the huge photography group, PSPJ (Photographic Society of Petaling Jaya) to a full day photography shooting outing! My hands are still itchy to shoot more photos, and I just can't wait to continue the shutter therapy. 

To those who say only prime lenses are suitable for street shooting, think again. I think the kit lens does just fine, and I am perfectly happy with the results I have obtained! 

Please support this blog by liking my Facebook Page here (click)





12 comments:

  1. Love the E-P5! Had my first copy stolen, bought another, but then sold that to finance an E-M5 MkII, which I am very happy with. However, sometimes I long for the near perfect mix of IQ, ergonomics, size, features and of course styling. Paired with the Pana 14mm f2.5 it is a near perfect street camera and fits in your pocket so that you can keep it with you at all times and whip it out to capture those moments that just happen on the streets of any big city. Great choice for some street photography therapy, and you really got some great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Humza! And yes I am still loving the E-P5 so much! Such a great machine for street photography, that I agree whole-heartedly.

      Delete
  2. Hey Robin - good work! And I see you're enjoying using an EVF on your EP5 that's paired with the "humble" kit lens. Best of both worlds - nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, yes yes !! Loving my E-P5 and loving the kit lens too!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hey David, that was a generic, cheap bag that I turned into a camera bag by adding partitions and paddings for the camera and lenses.

      Delete
  4. Hi Robin. I've been following your Blog since March and enjoy it very much. "The Lady in Yellow" image above is one of my favorites of all your shots. I'm curious how you captured this. Did you wait until a woman came in yellow came walking by (seems unlikely) or did you spot her down the street and hustle to position yourself where you had envisioned this image? However you did it, I love the juxtaposition between advertising and reality.

    Bought an E-M10 II based partly on your review a month ago and am loving it. Keep up the good work, it's very inspiring.

    Will
    Charleston, SC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Will,
      Thanks for your kind words and I do love that lady in yellow image too! I did not wait for this one, the shot was quite a lucky one. As I was walking by (I knew the existence of the yellow posters already) I saw the lady in yellow shirt walking by and I immediately knew this was the composition I wanted (this was quite a common area in Petaling street, so I already have the frame in mind).

      Delete
  5. ooooo, I've been learning to deal with my first official kit lens since I got the Panasonic GM5 with 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6. I doubt the ZD 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 counts as a kit lens.

    It's interesting to see if I can have the patience to work with such a tiny lens. It and 3 other lenses I have are particularly small with filter sizes of 37mm and 46mm. I'm used to thinking of a filter size of 58mm as tiny.

    Of course, you would have no problem. You could make pinhole camera photos into art. :-)

    Since I am slowing down and less able to capture skating photos and video well, I am taking more people photos. Mine bear no resemblance to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider the 14-54mm a kit lens too, but an advanced one that is!

      Delete
  6. What a superb idea .IMG magazine, and another set of wonderful images Robin. Makes me want to visit again. Not that I need much prompting...
    Cheers,
    Peter
    https://1x.com/member/axiom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Peter, thanks for the kind words! and yes please come back!

      Delete